Welcome to our second team profile at Shaw Reynolds Lawyers, a specialist environmental, government, planning and development law firm. Today we interview our Partner, Alyce Kliese.
1. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Both! It is common for me to be asked “when do you sleep?” Life is too short to sleep!
2. Who has influenced you most when it comes to how you approach your work?
It is tricky to pin it down to one individual. I have had many diverse professional roles – in government, non-for-profit organisations, universites, industry bodies and private legal practices. Throughout those experiences I have had the opportunity to work with many very generous individuals who have sponsored, mentored and inspired me. With each role I have observed and chosen the attitudes and behaviours that I admire, and incorporated those “ways of doing things” into my approach to work. In terms of some general rules to my approach to work – Arnold Schwarzenegger and his 6 rules of success have been influential and I highly recommend watching his speech on Youtube. You are guaranteed to be inspired.
3. What behaviour or personality trait do you most attribute your success to, and why?
Grit. When the going gets tough that is where you will find me digging deep and pushing myself to get the job done. It is an attitude that I have had from a very young age and it has served me very well.
4. How do you prefer to start your day? How do you prefer to end your day?
I start my day early – I love getting up at 4 or 5am when everything is quiet and there are no distractions. Usually I start my day with a first breakfast, then in the gym, and followed by a second breakfast! I finish my day reading – at the moment I’m reading “The Obstacle is the Way” by Ryan Holiday.
5. What energizes you at work?
Solving the really difficult, complex legal questions that others don’t want to touch. Then, providing advice that is simple to follow, gives others that feeling of “a-ha!”, and also provides practical next steps to take the matter forward.
6. What’s your biggest work pet peeve?
I am obsessed with managing the large volume of information that comes my way. On that basis my biggest pet peeve is a disorganised file!
7. What’s something you’ve done, but will never do again?
Tough Mudder – I’ve done it twice and will never forget those final sprints to the finish line (which involved running through live wires and being electrocuted). I’ve ticked it off the bucket list – never again.
8. What would we most likely find you doing on the weekend?
You will find me in the outdoors – bushwalking, rock climbing or exploring hidden spots in the Blue Mountains.
9. If you could only eat one item for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I would love it if it was possible to simply take a pill to cover all of my dietary needs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
10. What’s your most used emoji?